HELP - Bad contract wording?

Subject: HELP - Bad contract wording?
From: David Boss <bosscomm -at- INTERLOG -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 08:28:08 -0500

I have been offered a two month contract with a large computer
consulting and service company. One clause in the contract bothers me so
thought I would invite comments. The section is:

"The Contractor agrees not to enter into any direct or indirect
contracts to provide similar services to a <company> customer as those
provided by Contractor herein other than through <company> during the
term of this Agreement and for a period of one year after the
termination or expiration thereof, without the prior written consent of
<company>."

Since this company works with many others in the area that are
prospective clients, and some that I have worked for in the past and
will probably hear from again, I feel that accepting this clause as is
would (in theory, at least) create an unacceptable limitation to the
market for my services. Any experience with this or comments?

Please respond directly as I receive the digest and need to return this
contract tomorrow.

David Boss
Boss Communications
Technical Writing <> Business Communications <> Web Site Development
bosscomm -at- interlog -dot- com <> bosscomm -at- compuserve -dot- com
Web site: http://www.interlog.com/~bosscomm