How long does it take to review a document?

Subject: How long does it take to review a document?
From: Pete Kloppenburg <pkloppen -at- CERTICOM -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:35:40 -0400

Hi all. A nice, uncontroversial question, suitable for succinct answers.

I'm writing the process document for documentation at our company. I'm
working on the part that says how the review process will work (a bone of
some contention at my company). I'd like to know if anybody knows of any
standard for figuring out how long to give a reviewer.

Our review process will make use of Lotus Notes and PDF. I'll set up a
review, the various folks will get notified that they can look at the
thing, and then they can make comments directly into Notes, which others
can read as well. The idea is that everybody reviews concurrently. After
the deadline has passed, silence implies consent. I figure that a week is
the minimum review period, so as to allow people to fit a review into their
schedules. After a certain point, though, a project will get too long to
review in one week. How long is too long, and is there a formula which can
be applied to give a reasonable review period?

All suggestions would be appreciated. The standard summary will follow, if
there seems to be a demand for it. Thanks.

Pete Kloppenburg - pkloppen -at- certicom -dot- com
Technical Writer
Certicom Corp
Mississauga, Ontario,
Canada