Successful Manipulation of Word Files

Subject: Successful Manipulation of Word Files
From: Graham Tillotson <graham -at- MEGSINET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 17:42:17 -0700

Thanks to all who contributed to my posting on
analyzing Word styles (especially Ben for his macro).

My interest started with the need to analyze styles used in
Folio infobases, and I found that if you export infobase
content to an RTF document and then analyze it with the
process below, all is fine in the world.

For those who are interested, it is a rather easy process to:

1. generate a new document that lists all styles in use in
the order they appear (Ben's macro)

2. tweak the new file so that you can convert text to table
and get a listing of style names on the left and descriptions
on the right

3. paste append the Word table into an Access table with
columns for "Style" and "Definition"

Once in Access, you can run queries (Make Table, Find Unmatched, etc.)
to make master (distinct) style tables, find low-use styles, determine
usage frequency, and archive styles for later use (using OLE
functionality
to store the Word template in the database). If you run the macro on
multiple
Word files, you can import the style list tables into Access tables and
perform a
cross-file analysis.

Graham Tillotson
graham -at- megsinet -dot- net