What does a Tech Writer do?

Subject: What does a Tech Writer do?
From: Lise Richards <Lise_Richards -at- CLASSIC -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 00:24:37 UT

My 2 cents:

I started out doing end-user support in a medical information department at a
pharmaceutical company. This combined two very technical disciplines. From
there I went on to a regulatory department in the same company where, as you
may know, everything must be documented. My love for writing pushed me
further along the path towards tech. writing.

I started by writing software manuals and providing training on them. Now I
handle documentation for a diagnostics company. My technical background
therefore is different. I don't need to know much about the engineering specs
for any of the products we manufacture, but I do need to know about regulatory
requirements for documentation. How do the regulations affect the people that
are supposed to know about the documents I create. How to edit, store, and
make them accessible to field personnel while staying compliant. Its an
interesting profession and always something new to learn or do.

My educational background combines computer science, journalism, nursing (!),
and business - all of which have helped me in this field. I wouldn't trade it.

Lise Richards

The Brownstone Workshop
Communication - Document Publishing - Management Services

http://www.successmp.com/shops/brownstoneworkshop
(973) 674-0394 Fax: (973) 674-8276