Using technical information

Subject: Using technical information
From: Mike Hyatt <mhyatt -at- ESRI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 09:28:24 -0700

Kathy King wants to document "another company's hardware,"
but has little to go on. She asks, "Can I use their
description? Do I have to reword it, or can I use it 'as
is'? Does this fall under copywrite law or something?"

Yes, this most certainly "falls under [copyright] law."
Chances are that the other firm would agree to allow you to
quote from or paraphrase their copyrighted material. But
you first need to secure their *written permission.* Your
company's legal department should be able to handle this
for you.

Michael Hyatt
Technical Editor
mhyatt -at- esri -dot- com