Re: Liberal Arts Grads Can't "Grasp?" Give me a f&*#ing break.

Subject: Re: Liberal Arts Grads Can't "Grasp?" Give me a f&*#ing break.
From: Wohlrab Arleta - DRACS <wohlraba -at- BSCC -dot- BLS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 13:07:00 EDT

Chris,

Whew. Well, I will say that the employer you interviewed with handled the
situation poorly. He had no reason to dismiss you so quickly. What he
should have done was give you a test. Last year I hired an excellent
junior writer (who had a BA in Creative Writing, thank you). He did well
on some practical exercises and showed an aptitude for grasping technical
concepts. His best qualities by far, however, were his positive attitude,
his willingness to learn, and his perseverance in completing projects.

I've also worked with other liberal arts grads who didn't know squat
about what they were writing. But that wasn't the problem. The problem
was that they were so defensive about how qualified they were to write
that they didn't think they had any shortcomings.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with liberal arts skills. I'm
saying that you still need more than that to work in this field.

My point is that liberal arts grads need something concrete to show an
employer that demonstrates their technical aptitude. That's because
you're interviewing as a businessperson and you need to be able to show
how you can contribute to the business. It's not a personal thing. It's a
business thing.

By the way, remember that I'm a liberal arts grad.

Arleta Wohlrab
wohlraba -at- bscc -dot- bls -dot- com