Re: Liberal Arts Grads Can't "Grasp?" Give me a f&*#ing break.

Subject: Re: Liberal Arts Grads Can't "Grasp?" Give me a f&*#ing break.
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:57:14 -0400

>A person whose training is geared too much toward liberal arts or a
>technical field is not going to be a great technical writer.

Am I missing the reason this statement seems to be so controversial?

I've worked with non-technical technical writers who wrote deathless
prose but who couldn't get behind the GUI and couldn't write a clear,
concise procedure to save their lives...

I've worked with technical technical writers who understood every line
of code, but couldn't get in front of the GUI and couldn't write a
clear, concise procedure to save their lives...

The technical writers I've admired most seem to balance concrete
technical knowledge and the ability to communicate clearly and
concisely.

A.

Lucky for you all -- I deleted most of my rant ;-) It was cathartic,
nonetheless.
--
Alexia Prendergast
Senior Technical Writer