Re: Word to Pagemaker

Subject: Re: Word to Pagemaker
From: "Stephen D. Martin" <smartin -at- RC -dot- GC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:42:26 -0400

Jennifer O'Neill wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I need to move some Word6 manuals to Pagemaker 6. None have templates
> and styles weren't always used. There are lots of graphics and
> tables as well as index fields and cross references in the Word docs.
> One manual is 120 pages long.
>
> What info can I expect to loose moving to Pagemaker? Can I do
> anything to make the move as easy as possible?

I can't comment on index fields and cross references but I've just gone
through almost the same experience for the first time and can tell you
that you'll have to recreate your Table of Contents.

My 126 page document, with less than 10 graphics (mainly visio, an org
chart and a couple of network diagrams, and four BMP screenshots), was
almost 10 megs in size under Word6. Since re-tooling to PageMaker (6.5
though, not 6.0) I now have more information prsented on 129 pages (so
far), with a total file size of 1.8 Megs.

The original document had a lot of tables and section ends. When I
tried to import the Word document into PM, PM barfed on the section
ends, so you'll have to remove them. Your tables will also disappear
and be replaced with space/tab deliminated columns, but you can (though
I don't necessarily advise it), use the Adobe table Editor to create
actual tables (with borders). The styles you are using and text itself
will convert without problem.

A quick summary:

With PageMaker you will (should) see a dramatic decrease in the file
size and (for myself at least), the material is better presented. You
will have to take time to fine tune the resulting document(s), but I
believe the benefits outweigh the inconvenience.

If you'd like to see some before/after examples or discuss anything
further feel free to mal away.

Cheers!