Re: Multiple RoboHelp Help Files

Subject: Re: Multiple RoboHelp Help Files
From: Stephen Forrest <techwriter -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 00:35:29 GMT

At 04:31 PM 9/12/97 -0400, Aaron Morrison wrote:

>Our company maintains several software products, all of which can work
>in conjunction with the "parent" product. However, some of those
>products can also work on a standalone basis. Our dilemma is that when
>these products work together, they share certain processes.
>We want to be able to link each of the products together so you can find
>help on a certain topic without having to go into the other product and
>access Help.
>
>Our question is how we should structure our Help Files:
>One Help/multiple .RTFs
>Or
>Multiple Help files.

One major drawback to multiple help files is that when you do an index
search from within a help file, you only have access to the index for the
help file you are in. Topics in the other help files can easily be linked to
but they cannot be searched for.

I suggest you do modular documentation so that the appropriate nuggets can
be assembled in the help file for each of your product distributions.