Re: multiple help files

Subject: Re: multiple help files
From: "e. farstad" <efarstad -at- NETWALK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 18:24:50 -0700

Hmmm...I'd use multiple help files, but that's just me. You will need
to coordinate with the development teams for the various products, but
it's more a matter of what file they call from the software than what
files you create.

Now, if you can't be sure which products the user has installed, you
need to be sure that, if the product isn't installed, the associated
help file and menu option doesn't get installed, either. (That's part
of the reason for multiple help files.) It's a lot of contingency
routines for whomever writes the installation program.

Just seems like multiple .hlp files is a more modular, controllable
approach.

Best luck,
Barb Green

Subject: multiple help files
Author: "e. farstad" <efarstad -at- NETWALK -dot- COM> at unixlink
Date: 9/13/97 4:01 PM

You wrote:

Hello All,
I have a question regarding using multiple help (.hlp) files or a single
help file with multiple .RTF files.
Here's the situation:
Our company maintains several software products, all of which can work
in conjunction with the "parent" product. However, some of those
products can also work on a standalone basis. Our dilemma is that when
these products work together, they share certain processes.
We want to be able to link each of the products together so you can find
help on a certain topic without having to go into the other product and
access Help.

Our question is how we should structure our Help Files:
One Help/multiple .RTFs
Or
Multiple Help files.

What kind of experience do any of you have in this area. Our company is
pretty new to online help, so any input would be greatly appreciated. I
didn't have time to check the archives, and I apologize if this was
covered there.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron W. Morrison
Technical Writer
Medic Computer Systems, Inc.
My views are my own and not those of Medic.