Incorporating online help w/training

Subject: Incorporating online help w/training
From: "Hamilton, Susan" <shamilton -at- METASOLV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 08:01:01 -0500

Hello-

Have any of you worked with incorporating online help training with
regular training classes? I am looking for some good methods of doing
so, some success stories, or some good theories about why it is
helpful. I have a couple of STC research articles, but I'm not getting
very good reception from the training team lead.

We provide only online documentation, but we teach a two-week bootcamp
class for all new hires and any customers that want it (which is at
least a subset of users for each customer). Right now, the use of
online help in training consists of a one-paragraph thought that says
we have online help and having them open the help file.

We have just redesigned the online help and have added a ton of
procedures to what used to be a reference-based help system. To
compound the problem, we have acquired a new (important) client whose
user-base is not very PC/mouse literate.

To help with getting users accustomed to using the online help and
teach them how to be more effective at finding answers, I have been
trying to get our training team lead to incorporate online help
training into the bootcamp.

I would like to have a training section devoted to how to using help.
After that, I would like to see exercises sprinkled through the
training that present a background real-life scenario and have the
users use the online help to figure out how to complete the exercise.
It think that it will help get user into the help, provide an
environment where they can ask questions about the help, and provide
an opportunity for the tech writers to observe (kind of like an
informal usability test).

Anyway, what do y'all think?

Susan Hamilton

Susan Hamilton