Re: If you want to answer this...

Subject: Re: If you want to answer this...
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 11:37:25 -0400

At 09:30 AM 9/18/97 -0400, Ann Waterhouse <awaterhouse -at- ORDINOX -dot- COM> wrote:
>First of all I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who responded so
>promptly to my query about HTML conversion.
>
>I thought, since I was on a roll, I would ask another question. I just
>started working at a new job and the Tech Writing group is very interested
>in both this newsgroup and the STC. What I would like now is your opinions
>and thoughts about both the newsgroup and the STC.
>
>What does it do for you as a Tech Writer? How do you use it? What are the
>benefits? How would you justify these to your boss? And so on and so on.
>Any thoughts you would care to share would be most appreciated.

I moved into technical writing from engineering, a not-uncommon move from
what I've seen on the list. I'd written a lot as an engineer, but it was
quite a revelation to discover hordes of people dedicated to the technical
communication profession!

I joined the STC as soon as I discovered it, almost 4 years ago, not long
after I started freelancing as a tech writer. I found the local chapter
members to be extremely helpful in getting a newbie started, and in
providing informal mentoring as I needed it. I've since moved across the
country, and my local chapter here (Toronto) is much more active. Chapter
meetings are generally information sessions -- we have guest speakers from
various industries that employ tech writers, or from industries and service
firms we might use (such as lawyers, print houses, accountants, you get the
idea). Some sessions are presented by local members in their particular
areas of expertise (a software package like FrameMaker, or indexing, or
writing for the insurance industry).

Our local chapter hosted the annual STC conference this year; it was my
first chance to attend. I came back to work with my brain spinning. So
much to learn! So many opportunities! It's easy to get into a rut, always
doing the same type of things and never moving forward. Networking with
other conference attendees and attending the sessions opened my eyes to
ongoing research in our profession, to new methods of doing what I've always
done, and to new career opportunities.

I value the STC publications, too. The journal is a bit scholarly for my
tastes; while I appreciate hearing about the research, I wish more
contributors provided a way to APPLY what they've so painstakingly learned.
The magazine takes a more hand-on approach, and I read it cover to cover.

I freelance, and I'm generally the lone writer for my clients. TECHWR-L
gives me a sense of community -- there are other folks out there who CARE
whether manuals have good indexes, or whether the manual version matches the
current software release version and how to update it if it doesn't. I've
learned more from the folks on this list than I have through the structured
tech writing courses I've taken. I always read anything posted by certain
regular contributors, even if the subject isn't directly relevant to what
I'm working on, because I know I'll glean words of wisdom. I sometimes post
questions, knowing I'll get thoughtful, timely responses.

Both the STC and TECHWR-L have members who are experts in our field. I
enjoy learning from them; I know my writing has improved because of it.
That's what you should be telling your boss.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor
mailto:winday -at- idirect -dot- com

There's a lot more to gain from his living than wealth.
There's a lesson to learn with devotion:
Be kind to all others, as well as yourself,
Or you'll drift like a boat out on the ocean.

Roving Gypsy Boy (Jimmy Rankin)