Re: Language use and hypersensitivity

Subject: Re: Language use and hypersensitivity
From: Kim Keegan <keegan -at- EXPLORERS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 16:44:12 -0400

Wayne Douglass wrote:

> I'll worry about "master/slave," "abort," and even "subjunctive" in
> technical writing when dog breeders get self-conscious about "bitch."

Well said. Having worked directly with breeders for one client, I
quickly became desensitized to comments like "My best bitch just dropped
a litter. There are six pups on the ground." I heard some interesting
stories involving turkey basters! I agree, this master/slave/abort....
issue should be put to rest. If the terms are appropriate for the
industry, I see no reason to pussy-foot around.

Kim

--
Kim Keegan | Information Developer
ISI Data Services / Intrepid Technology