Problems installing Word97 upgrade

Subject: Problems installing Word97 upgrade
From: Leslie McKendry-Smith <McKendrySmith -at- MBNET -dot- MB -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:15:23 -0500

Has anyone had a problem installing the Word97 upgrade with
a 2x CD-ROM drive?

I started installing the software and got as far as copying
files when I received an error that the disk was dirty. I
cleaned the CD but continued to get the same error. Now my
system won't even auto detect the disk.

I can't read the disk but I can read and auto detect other
CDs, including music CDs. So far, I've cleaned the CD lens
and tried three different copies of the software. I don't
think that I want to test the patience of my local Staples
store further by asking for a forth copy. (Actually, I'm
giving them 10 out of 10 for customer service. Replacing
the package twice without question, even though the disks
work in their systems, is going far beyond the call of "the
customer is always right.")

Are these disks `marginal' and need to be read many times
before they run?

Do I have to up grade my CD-ROM to install Word97? I plan
on upgrading my system next spring but I don't want to wait
until then to start using Word97.

Can I make installation diskettes from the CD? I have
access to a system on which the CD will run.

Did the system write an error key to the registry when it
couldn't read the first copy I tried?

Is there something else that I've overlooked?

As I subscribe to the list in digest mode, please respond by
email to mckendry -at- mbnet -dot- mb -dot- ca .

Thanks,

Leslie McKendry-Smith