Re: Master/Slave

Subject: Re: Master/Slave
From: Miark <miark -at- MIJENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 10:54:03 -0500

David Orr saith:
> Also, I think that if it can be proven by survey or some other
> semi-scientific way that use of certain terms definitely offends a large
> portion of a specific group, out of politeness, we ought to refrain from
> using these terms.

Right. Part of our primary responsibilty is to remove stumbling blocks to
effective communication, so we would be obligated remove terminology that
distracts or otherwise impedes effective communication. But David's
right in that the only time we can do this is when terminology impedes "a
large portion" of our readers.

The truth is, though, I've never heard anyone outside of academe so much
as hint that master/slave, in the context of documentation, was offensive.

Mike