Re: Contracting

Subject: Re: Contracting
From: Bill Baker <bill -at- MEDIATRANSITIONS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 12:31:13 -0500

Tony,

There are downsides, but not the items you may expect. Contractors rarely
work alone. The average job seems to involve 2-3 key personnel donated by
the client. Having your own equipment, and paying your taxes are benefits.

The downsides from my perspective:

--Full understanding of the client's vision. Difficult when the client is
not forthcoming.
--Questionable availablility of client's key personnel.
--Getting paid at times specified in the contract.

Upsides:

--No one will accuse you of creating a hostile workplace.
--Amount of work available. You will find that you turn away 50% of the
business offered.

What is the number one thing a client can do to help the contractor?

--Give me a key person with some clout! If I visit my future client
liaison, only to find him/her in a 6x6 cubicle with no window, it let's me
know the relative priority of the project.

Regards,
Bill
www.mediatransitions.com