Re: Contracting, continued

Subject: Re: Contracting, continued
From: Ann Mackenzie <AnnMacknz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 16:41:16 -0400

In a message dated 97-09-19 19:50:38 EDT, Larry Weber wrote:

<< For those who started as an employee, how much experience did you have
before you made the leap? >>

I made the leap in 2 stages, first as an employee of a contracting agency,
then as an independent. The advantage was that I learned first if I was
suited to being a contractor (not being part of the "gang" at work, learning
my way around quickly without very much help, moving from company to
company). Later, I started my own company and learned how to run a business
(the gov't and I are frequent correspondents), how to negotiate a contract,
and how to fix my own software and hardware problems. On the whole, it was
well worth the effort.

I think that personality is as important as technical competance. To be
successful as a contractor, you have to be able to take care of yourself -
everything listed above and more. You also have to definately be a
self-starter, and be able to tolerate spending a large part of every week
alone, writing and editing.

>Should the economy turn bad (as most cyclical things do), how do you
think you'll fare? <

I think I'd rather be a contractor than an employee because companies would
spring for a project (providing there is writing needed at all) when they
wouldn't take on an employee and all the gov't-mandated entitlements.

What do the rest of you contractors think about this question?