TW pet peeves and other lost causes

Subject: TW pet peeves and other lost causes
From: Scott Herron <sherr19 -at- IDT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 10:28:37 -0400

From: "Robin M. Allen" <robin -dot- m -dot- allen -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>

>more than / over

> A lot (allot | alot) of people confuse these two and it drives me
> crazy. You see it everywhere, especially in tv commercials and print
> advertisements.

Well. You can Forget. About Print Advertisements. They have gone. Round
the bend. Completely. Especially. Placement of. The full Stop. And
Capitalisation.

Today's Top 10 Technical Writing Pet Peeves
=====================
SPELLING

10- definately

A big one on the 'net, and an interesting one. I think it's
a result of placing the emPHASis on the wrong syLABle when
trying to duplicate intonation in print.

9- seperate

8- sheild [very popular with engineers]

USEAGE

7- bring it there/take it here

This one is so easy to get right, I really don't understand why
it's such a common mistake.

6- most/almost [still popular even on this pedant-bedewed list]

5- Less/fewer [eternal]

4- "Refurbishing" computers [which have no upholstery]
"revamping" software [which has no leather upper]
"dilapidated" anything [which is not made of stone]

3- "Multiple" meaning "more than one"

"This product allows you to open multiple windows," it says,
and I don't see any 'multiple windows' -- just lots of single
windows. What the heck is a 'multiple window?'

2- Solutions

I am bored to tears with 'solutions.' Last June I did a text
search on the web and found 23,000 instances of 'solution' and only
600 of
'problem,' 75% of which were actually 'Year 2000 problem.' What a
wonderful world we live in where there's so many solutions to so
few problems!

Last year someone said to a colleague of mine, "Thanks for
_solutioning_ that [problem] for us."

1- ", well," meaning "LOOK OUT! Here comes the punch line!"

--
Scott Herron | sherr19 -at- idt -dot- net

Uh. . . Word 97 stinks. There. Now I'm on-topic.