Re: Contracting

Subject: Re: Contracting
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 22:19:26 GMT

>How do contractors enjoy their work? How does it compare with corporate
>work?
I enjoy it mightily. I would make a really lousy regular employee now.
Why?
- I hate office politics. As a contractor, I only have to deal with
office politics marginally, and can leave the scene. As an employer, I
am doing my darndest to hire people that also hate them and deal with
others honestly and fairly.
- I love my work, do a good job, and reward myself for it. Not many
employers do that.
- I can sleep in if I need to. I do much better work when I'm
well-rested.

>If you work at home, do you go bonkers with "cabin fever?"
I did. I got an outside office. I'm sure my mailman and my cats miss
me, but I'm much happier.

>How do contractors manage health insurance?
I wimped. My husband carries it.

>After all is said and done, how's the money?
Good. I'm more concerned with happiness and balance in my life than
with money, so I actually make a little less as a contractor than I
did as a full-timer. However, I also don't put in as many hours as I
reasonably could. The money is there if you want it, if you are good
at what you do, and if you work for it.

Barb
Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing