Towards easier maintenance...

Subject: Towards easier maintenance...
From: Lalitha Subramaniam <lalithas -at- DELHI -dot- TCS -dot- CO -dot- IN>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 13:33:33 +0500

I invite suggestions on optimizing maintenance effort in large help systems.
In a scenario where we have information repeating across several files, how
do we ensure that updates are done in all points of incidence with minimum
effort?

This may involve a combination of a good tracking mechanism and some kind of
"single sourcing". We have thought out several alternatives, but our
constraints are:
a. Text in the "repeatables" are not identical.
b. Nor do they occur in chunky blocks that can be maintained in one place
and plugged/inserted in several places.

The ideal solution should update in one source and see the propagation in
all of the numerous occurrences! But we can settle for the less-than-ideal
that would minimise the number of files to be opened and more importantly
ensure all the required incidences are covered.

I'll be thankful for ideas.