Re: Fun Pairs

Subject: Re: Fun Pairs
From: Karen Rodgers <prism -at- NEOSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 15:41:59 -0500

At 08:40 AM 9/25/97 +1000, TKierans -at- TRANSIGO -dot- NET -dot- AU wrote:
>For example:
> eg/ie

One of my favorite mixed up pairs, always with this story. I don't know why
I didn't post it sooner!

i.e.-
latin:"id est" which means (that is).

e.g.-
latin:"exempli gratia" which means (for the sake of example).

I used to work with some people that always got these two mixed up - and
would never admit it, of course. We all know these people! But the funny
part was - there was one engineer who always wrote out i.e. as "in
examplum" and no matter how many times we corrected him (he always meant
e.g., of course) and even showed him in dictionaries, etc. how goofed up he
was, he continued to tell us that his Latin teacher in high school taught
him that that was what it meant. Period. It was never publicly embarassing,
but it nevertheless embarassed us in private. Or at least it embarassed
those of us who knew he was wrong.

I also appreciated the "this door is alarmed" post. This first time I was
in England and saw a "this car is alarmed" sticker, I laughed until I had
tears streaming down my cheeks! I still chuckle every time I think of it.
And then, of course, there is the "mind your head" sign I saw at St. Paul's
Cathedral...but that is another story!