FrameMaker 5.5 bug

Subject: FrameMaker 5.5 bug
From: "L. Wong" <lydiaw -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 08:38:27 -0400

Readers,

(I apologize if this bug has already been reported to the list, as I get
the digest and haven't seen today's postings.)

If you use FrameMaker and have upgraded to or are considering upgrading
to Frame 5.5, beware if you use side heads in your documents.

Just about all our documents do, and after two days of struggling with
unexpected Serious Internal Errors that crash Frame, I called Adobe tech
support today.

It turns out they have "just realized" that there is a bug in Frame 5.5
when working with documents that use sideheads. The "workaround" they
suggest is to save the file to a file in MIF format, then reopen it as a
Frame file.

Well, just to let you know, this lost my paths for my cross-references,
changed my imported graphics, and *didn't work.* Their other possible
"solutions" included saving to MIF and using our old version 5.1.2
(which would mean reinstalling, saving backward many files, etc.) or to
remove the side heads (out of the question).

If you haven't installed or upgraded and you use side heads, I highly
recommend that you wait and upgrade AFTER they release a fix. (Of
course, they cannot give an time estimate on when that will be.) You
don't want to end up in limbo (believe me!) with files that you can't
edit in 5.5 and you can't open in 5.1. If you use side heads and have
encountered this problem, PLEASE call Adobe and urge them to solve it as
soon as possible (thanks!).

Lydia Wong
Technical Writer
FarPoint Technologies, Inc.