Re: Political Correctness and the Writer-FYI

Subject: Re: Political Correctness and the Writer-FYI
From: Carl Stieren <STIEREN -at- SIMWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 14:09:00 EDT

From the number of posts we've had from TECWR-L subscribers in Britain,
Germany and Canada recently, you'd think American technical writers would
realize not everyone has their "own state governor" ....

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Smokey Lynne L Bare <slbare -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
wrote:

>Subject: Re: Political Correctness and the Writer-FYI

>For those of you who do wish to be in compliancy for documentation
>standards (educational or marketing), there is an association (National
>Hall of Fame for Persons with Disabilities, Inc.) which assists companies
>with verbal compliancy. Our state also has a wonderful person who
>assists any group wishing to be compliant in referencing ADA terminology.
> I am sure each of your own state governor's office has the same
>divisional branch for ADA Communications Assistance. As writers, often
>times, we do not have the personal right to make the call, but have been
>directed to find industry guidelines for standardization. I am just
>relaying, for those writers who are interested, there are such groups
>present to assist you.

By the way, in French, in Quebec, the Office de la langue francaise does
offer online lists of words, abbreviations and terminology, and if you
poke around there enough you may find something specific to people
with physical disabilities:

http://www.olf.gouv.qc.ca/office/pages/o07a.html

Carl Stieren
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada