Page layout & foreign language translations

Subject: Page layout & foreign language translations
From: Judyth Mermelstein <Judyth_Mermelstein -at- BABYLON -dot- MONTREAL -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 15:44:50 GMT

JamesPVW <jamespvw -at- AOL -dot- COM> asked:
>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle
>page layout for a software manual in English, French,
>and Spanish? [snip]
>Any hints? Is the simplest/best way to have the
>translations appear one after another, front to back?
>If so, should I start page numbering over with the
>beginning of each language?

There are several ways of handling this, but the length and nature of the
material itself will dictate which is best.

For longer documents, or those involving complicated subjects where the
reader needs to follow long series of instructions, a separate section for
each language is a good idea. It would probably be more convenient for users
if each version were bound separately (much easier to handle). If they must
be handled as one volume, I would suggest using tabbed cover-stock dividers.

Although I have seen it done otherwise, I would simply number pages
consecutively throughout: tables of contents and indexes become virtually
useless when there are several pages with the same number to confuse the
reader, and this is even worse if a book uses "II-1.1" or some such rather
than true page numbers. (Yes, I know this has become standard in some circles
because it simplifies replacing superceded material when reprinting, but it
is considerably more difficult for the user to find the relevant section in a
manual and I think that rather defeats the purpose of providing one.)

For shorter or simpler material, you might be better off using the divided
page approach: i.e., laying out each page to show the material in all three
languages. Usually, this involves dividing each page into thirds (or fourths
if a single illustration is used for all three versions). This works well for
documents with a few simple illustrations, or for equipment manuals where
diagrams can be placed on a separate page and parts numbered and keyed with
three separate lists.

Where illustrations take the form of screen shots and the like, the text
portions should be provided trilingually, which argues in favour of separate
manuals or sections. If the software interface is English-only and the menus,
etc. are explained in full in the text, trilingual pages permit the use of
one illustration instead of three.

No doubt others will suggest different approaches.

Regards,
Judyth ("cogito ergo lego ergo cogito...")
judyth_mermelstein -at- babylon -dot- montreal -dot- qc -dot- ca