Re: Frame -> Word

Subject: Re: Frame -> Word
From: "LaTorra, Michael" <MLaTorra -at- SCGROUPINC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 08:47:50 -0600

Emma Heftman wrote about her company's decision to convert from
FrameMaker to Word.
First of all, you have my condolences. As a former Frame user who is
now incarcerated in Word, I feel your pain. I will let others address
your specific conversion questions, since in my situation I switched
jobs and programs without having to do any file conversions.
But I want to warn you about one thing: crashes. Word is incredibly
fragile. I'm working on a Pentium machine with 32 MB RAM. Just yesterday
I was editing a 5 MB Word file (39 document pages including many screen
shot graphics). Word crashed repeatedly -- at least 6 times -- when I
tried to do something trivial, like reformat a particular 2 line
paragraph, or insert a page break after it.
So my advice is SAVE! SAVE! SAVE!

Michael LaTorra
Technical Writer

SCGroup Incorporated
7777 Market Center Avenue
El Paso, Texas 79912-8412
USA

Tel: 915-877-3900
Fax: 915-877-7296
E-Mail: MLATORRA -at- SCGROUPINC -dot- COM