Am I crazy to switch to PCs?

Subject: Am I crazy to switch to PCs?
From: Don Sargent <don -dot- sargent -at- TEMPLATE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 15:04:33 -0400

I've been asked to consider switching my writing group from UNIX
platforms to networked PCs running MS Windows 95 or NT. Currently, we
author our documentation using FrameMaker and create HTML versions of
manuals using Quadralay WebWorks. We create complex graphics and online
art using a PC. The products we document run both on Windows and UNIX
machines.

The advantages I see to switching are:

o Software is cheaper, such as Frame and WebWorks.

o There are better and easier graphics solutions on
the PC.

o We can more readily access secondary applications like
scheduling software, and so on.

o The hardware we'd be getting is supposed to be
slightly faster than our UNIX AIX boxes.

What do you recommend?

--
Don Sargent
Template Software, Inc. "I might only get three strikes in