Re: Framemaker sample manuals needed.

Subject: Re: Framemaker sample manuals needed.
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:07:38 -0500

> On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, George Williams wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any manuals created with Framemaker
> > they are proud of, regarding software documentation,
> > procedures, help files etc. that they can legally send
> > me in a zip file.

On Thursday, October 02, 1997 12:16 PM, barryk -at- MDHOST -dot- CSE -dot- TEK -dot- COM
[SMTP:barryk -at- MDHOST -dot- CSE -dot- TEK -dot- COM] wrote:

> What you are asking here is silly.
>
> There is absolutely no barking way that you can look at a document,
any
> document, and have any fiddly idea what product was used to create it,
or

Read the letter, George..... he was not asking for a PAPER copy. He
wants a FILE copy so he can poke around and look at the styles, etc.
That's a perfectly reasonable request.

If I have a document file that I KNOW was created with Frame (and
presumably anyone who sent it would include information about version
and platform....we're not idiots), I would be able to learn a lot from
looking at the "innards" of that document. I'd look at hidden text, I'd
look at bullet lists, numbered lists, inserted graphics, heading styles,
indexes, tables of contents, and every other little thing. It sounds
like a great idea, in fact. I only wish I had a Frame doc to send him.

For the record, that's why most books on writing help files have
SAMPLES...as do some desktop publishing books....so you can look at
"how" they did it as well as the result.

Jane Bergen

Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,
AnswerSoft, Inc. Richardson, TX
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com