Re: Am I crazy to switch to PCs?

Subject: Re: Am I crazy to switch to PCs?
From: Julie Tholen <julie_tholen -at- CNT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 08:32:52 -0500

Don listed quite a few good reasons for switching to PCs from
UNIX. Until six months ago, I had spent the last four years on UNIX and
here are some of the things that have changed for me. Besides
better quality games - sorry, but Solitaire is my mind-clearer -
I have gained, in general, better tools such as RoboHelp; use of our
Windows-based applications/GUIs; a saner mail system; and more visual
stimulation. I also have access to a CBT training library, which has
been very useful in coming up to speed on new technologies.

As a FrameMaker user, I miss my third mouse button, but I have
adjusted. What I have missed has been the organizational control that I
had with UNIX for my directories. I liked the window structure better,
it was less fussy. I could get access to development documentation
easier. Now I maintain two accounts. I don't like having to worry about
PC maintenance, disk drives going bad, or having to backup my work at
the end of the week.

In short, I appreciate and even treasure some of the tools on my
PC, I like the lower overhead of UNIX a lot. Much of the
overhead/environment on a PC, is to me anyway, bells and whistles, and I
can take or leave them. Speed, security, redundancy, clarity
(strange word for UNIX, but...) or operation have a higher priority.

I don't know if that is anyone else's experience, but for me it
is six of one, half dozen of another. A manager the decision should be
made dependent upon money, maturity of users, future direction of
development.

Just my $0.02

Julie T.