Tech writer wannabe (Cincinnati -> Twin Cities)

Subject: Tech writer wannabe (Cincinnati -> Twin Cities)
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 09:43:38 EST

Years from now, when I'm canonized, please refer to me as St.
Melissa of Vienna, patroness of tech writer wannabes. This seems
to be one of my missions in life. ;-)

An old friend of mine, currently living in Cincinnati, wants to
move to the Twin Cities. He is thinking that being a tech writer
might be a fun thing to do. His background is heavily academic
(he's got his master's and Ph.D -- he loves to do research of all
kinds) and he has also worked in sales. He and I have been
corresponding about how he might break in to tech writing. He
has no formal tech writing experience, but we all started there,
so that doesn't worry me. His academic work has all been in
Bible, and his dissertation was on water management in I forget
where but it's ancient and Biblical. He's interested in modern
environmental issues, too.

Seems to me that his background would work well in grant-writing
and maybe proposal-writing. What do y'all think? I have little
knowledge of what grant- and proposal-writers actually do, what
experience they need, how much they make, etc. I would love to
hear from those of you who do this kind of work, and I think it's
of general interest, so could you please post to the list as well
as to me?

I'd also like to tell him what kind of opportunities are
available in his neck of the woods. I think that's of general
interest, too.

What STC chapter serves Cincinnati? Southwestern OH? What can
y'all tell me about whatever chapter would be best for my friend?
Of course once he moves he'll be covered by the Twin Cities
chapter, but I want to see if I can get him to attend a meeting
or two near him, first. He could use the exposure to TW and the
networking possibilities. Since he is so wildly academic, should
he try to hook up with a student chapter instead of a -- um --
regular one?

Thanks in advance for all the help I know I'll get. My friend
thanks you, too.

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)