Re: Numbered lists in Word 97

Subject: Re: Numbered lists in Word 97
From: "Cramer, Kim" <kcramer -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 11:22:00 -0700

From: Harrison Brace
> The problem with this option is that it does not seem to "stick." Even when
> I select the "restart numbering" option and produce a properly numbered
> list, the next time I open the file I often find that numbering has become
> sequential throughout the whole document.
>
> Today a new problem cropped up: all my numbered lists items suddenly
> reverted to 1. Sheesh.

I had a similar problem with numbering chapters. When I opened a file,
all of them said Chapter 1. Turned out that I had a template attached
to my document and had selected the Automatically Update Document Styles
checkbox. As a result, when I opened the document, it reverted to the
base styles. Once I deselected the checkbox, I was able to set the
chapter number and make it stick. This may be your problem as well.

HTH