Re: Errata coverage

Subject: Re: Errata coverage
From: Anne Skinner <anne -at- NETMGRS -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 17:19:54 -0000

Hi Mac,

I would side with "nearly everybody else" on this one and put the
problems in the release note.

Unless you can be 100% SURE that these bugs will not be fixed, I would
suggest writing the manual to reflect how the dialog boxes should look,
rather than how they look at the moment. Even if you are that sure (and
are also 100% sure that your manual will be updated the next time the
software is released), I would not suggest putting the bugs in unless
they significantly altered the way the user will need to use your
product or (possibly) if you can somehow twist the "bugs" into
"features" (which seems unlikely from your message).

In most companies I have come into contact with, the software may well
be updated more often than the manuals, particularly when it comes to
bug fixes (as opposed to new software features). There is always a new
release note (in some form, if only readme.txt) to accompany the new
software. Therefore release notes are generally (or are seen by users
to be) updated more often than manuals, even if this is not true in your
company. By putting the bugs in your manual, you might therefore be
seen by your customers to be stating (on your company's behalf) that
these bugs DEFINITELY will not be fixed in the foreseeable future. This
might not be true, but is it worth the risk?

Just my ?0.02 worth. Back to "lurk" mode now!

Anne

Anne Skinner
Technical Author
Network Managers (UK) Ltd.
Email: anne -at- netmgrs -dot- co -dot- uk
Tel: +44 (0) 1483 303223
Fax: +44 (0) 1483 303997