Re: Office '97 - Shudder

Subject: Re: Office '97 - Shudder
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 20:36:36 -0500

In our previous episode, Deborah Gallagher said:

> I've started this week working on the Word 97 SR-1 (Windows NT version
> 4.0). We will use it along with Visio, Excel, and PowerPoint to
> gang-write tech docs. At present, our templates are in Word 6.0. Is
> there anything I ought to be aware of before updating the templates? I
> wish we used FrameMaker.

1. Don't uninstall Word 6.0/7.0. If you have any templates with
macros that Word 97 refuses to convert, you probably have Word 2.0
legacy code. You'll have to go into the macro in an older version of
Word to clean out the Word 2.0 code.

2. (This is obscure, but I spent several hours tracking it down at a
place I was consulting for.) If you have shared templates on a
network, and you have a network install of Word 7.0, and the network
install is set up to save documents in Word 6.0/95 format unless you
tell it otherwise -- your documents will lose their connection to
their attached templates and will have to be reattached. Don't go
there.

3. If you've customized your normal.dot, make sure you save a copy
somewhere away from the install; otherwise, you might lose it.