Re: Techwriting at $8/hr

Subject: Re: Techwriting at $8/hr
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 14:01:35 +0100

Re Beth's comments I agree completely. Things in the UK seem to be be a
little better (or I've been lucky!!). Where I first worked they actually
ran some basic (very) training programs and you had a senior author
assigned to you. My first "work" went out to the customer inside 8 weeks
after about 8 re-writes! Very much on the job training where you learned
by doing! After 6 months I was checking my boss's work and after a year I
was training a new author. In my next job they arranged day-release at
college for staff writers (electronics etc - most of the documentation was
hardware). My current employer is also very keen on "professional
development" and is funding my MA in Tech Authorship, ISTC conference fees
and any other (reasonable!) training that will enable me to do my job
better.

On the other hand I have worked some places where the comment is "training,
what's that?"!!!

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International

PS I've have seen references to "SMEs" in the list recently - not an
abbreviation I've come across, maybe we don't have them here or they have
another name. Could anyone enlighten me?? I await the deluge!