Web counter: surprisingly useful

Subject: Web counter: surprisingly useful
From: John Cornellier <john -dot- cornellier -at- PARIS -dot- CARDS -dot- DELARUE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 16:12:37 GMT

I just finished setting up a new web site for the STC France Chapter. My 1st web
site! Phew.

http://www.stc.org/region1/sfc

I thought it would be nice to put on a web counter, so I did.

What I didn't realise - and you may like to know - is that the counter counts
not only the hits, but provides statistics on how surfers got there (direct hit
or from another page), their domain names, OS, browser, and more.

Browser usage breaks down approximately like this:

Netscape 3 or higher: 54 per cent
MSIE 3 or higher: 21 per cent
AOL 3: 6 per cent

One thing that slows down the design and testing of HTML is that you don't know
what browsers and resolutions your viewers are using. I've never been able to
get a definitive answer on resolution, so I optimised for 800x600. Anyone got
any stats on web users' screen resolutions?

I wrote the HTML at 2.0 level partly because I thought that's what browsers can
handle, but mainly because I coded the whole site in notepad and simply have not
yet learned all tags.

Questions:

Does all this mean we can make free use of the extensions? No more sad pages
empty of frames, blinks, banners, braying background music, and bothersome java
popups that won't go away. Yippee.

Anyone know of any good free counter providers? I can personally recommend
http://www.siteflow.com/ but I haven't tried any others.

Incidentally it's quite exciting for the 1st day or two to log in and check your
usage, so you can say something like "hey! someone looked at my pages while I
was sleeping!"

If anyone fancies casting a critical eye on my work - coding, content,
structure, graphics (there are two), whatever - I'd love to hear what he or she
has to say! Go ahead, do a View --> Source!

John
mailto:john -dot- cornellier -at- paris -dot- cards -dot- delarue -dot- com