Re: Telecommuting advice

Subject: Re: Telecommuting advice
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 19:32:18 -0500

I've been on both ends of this for most of my technical publication career
(almost 20 years). Here's what I'd suggest at a minimum:

-Hire only experienced telecommuters. Telecommuting is not for everybody;
you'll be miles ahead if you ask candidates to show they've done it
successfully.

-Establish regular deliverable dates with specific objectives. Initially,
they should be as frequent as once a week, advancing to once every two or
three weeks after you've established confidence.

-Make sure that the both you and the telecommuter have the appropriate
facilities and communications utilities available. If the telecommuter must
connect to your network, make sure both you and the telecommuter understand
how this works.

-Ask the telecommuter to describe his or her working style and hours. Some
(many?) telecommuters do not work "standard" 9-5 hours. If you expect the
telecommuter to be available during a specific time period, make that
expectation known early. Personally, I am a night person and prefer working
later hours. Sometimes I sleep late in the morning. When the phone rings at
9:00 A.M., I may not be out of bed yet. So I make sure that everyone knows
that up front.

I could go on, but these are some of the biggies. You can also check with
the T-TELCOM list.

Good luck!

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com