Re: porn ads

Subject: Re: porn ads
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- MAIL -dot- BC -dot- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 11:00:59 -0800

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997 11:57:03 -0500, Rebecca Carr wrote:

>Does anyone know who I can complain to regarding pornographic picture
>advertisements coming to me on my email?

Rebecca, if your mail software supports advanced filtering (your headers
don't contain an X-Mailer tag, so I can't tell what you're using), it's
easy to set up a filter that will catch 99.5% of spam.

Most spammers will put recipients' names in a BCC: (blind CC), making
them invisible to you. Create a filter that will pluck out any mail that
DOESN'T contain your address in the regular TO: or CC: fields, and you've
got it licked. One note, though... many listservs also use BCC: for
their distribution, including TECHWR-L. This filter will also catch
those by default, so you need to either expand the filter to ignore
messages FROM: the listservs, or if you do like I do, have other filters
toss those messages into their own folders first (spam filters should
generally be the LAST ones processed).

My mailer (PMMail) supports advanced Boolean filtering, so I just use
this to snag spam and toss it into its own filter for later inspection:

!((h.to="soundy@")|(h.cc="soundy@"))

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>