Re: Screen Captures in UNIX

Subject: Re: Screen Captures in UNIX
From: Bill Bledsoe <bill -dot- bledsoe -at- CMS-STL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 13:46:04 -0500

Sarah Lathrop wrote:

> I am working on a reference manual for our UNIX based software
> system.
> The system consists of about 200 displays and numerous popup
> menus.
> The displays were recently redone by a graphic designer in the
> colors
> of the 90's. They are beautiful to look at, but the
> screen-capturing
> process has become a nightmare.

It depends on which UNIX OS you're running... but some of them are
starting to add screen capture applications in the native UNIX Windowing
environmen (either straight X or the particular OS's implementation).
For example, HP has in their VUE windowing environment a screen capture
in their HPUX 10.2 release. It is really slick, and produces a variety
of graphic formats... including jpg's, gif's, tiff's and bmps.

You might want to check the OS to see if they offer a screen capture of
their own.

cheers,
Bill Bledsoe
Senior Technical Writer - CMS
Bill -dot- Bledsoe -at- cms-stl -dot- com or intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com

Prediction 4
"The people who are studying Tai Chi Chuan instead
of saving money are planning to beat us up and take
our stuff when we've retired"

Scott Adams - The Dilbert Future