writer or technical expert?

Subject: writer or technical expert?
From: Katherin King <kking -at- BROOKTROUT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 09:19:39 -0400

This is in reference to the insurance company that was more concerned with
whether a "writer" understood insurance stuff than whether he or she could
actually write. I have found that it's far better to hire someone who can
write and is capable of learning the company-specific stuff than it is to
hire someone with expertise in the "stuff" but who can't write. That's how I
got my job with a high-tech computer telephony company. I knew absolutely
nothing about the technology, but boy, could I write! I learned the
technology, and I recently got an award for being able to clarify complex
technical issues.

Kathy King
Technical Writer
Kking -at- brooktrout -dot- com