Re: chapter numbering <more>

Subject: Re: chapter numbering <more>
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 15:36:48 -0500

Wittel, Teresa J. wrote:

> Oh BTW, all bets are off, if you're including the chapter number in the
> page number (i.e., 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 ...). How would you designate the
> Introduction, if you didn't use "Chapter 1" - (I -1, I - 2, etc.)?

Why not? Or you could use the dreaded Roman numerals.

My first reaction was that introductions should not have chapter
numbers. But the more I thought about it, the more it seemed that the
introduction should have a chapter number if it's an introduction to the
*product,* but not if it's simply an introduction to the *book*. For
example, the user docs that come with FubarPro 2.0 might have "Chapter
1: Introduction to FubarPro 2.0," but a book on icon design would simply
have an introduction sans chapter number. Does that make any sense?

Tracy