Re: ADMIN: Posting Rules Reminder

Subject: Re: ADMIN: Posting Rules Reminder
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 22:55:55 -0400

> As a rather new subscriber to the list (albeit a tech communicator from
> way back), I appreciate the opportunity this list gives us all to
> explore a lot of issues. One thing about the posting rules that I think
> is a little unclear: it seems we can post stuff about language and usage
> only if it bears directly on tech writing. In my view, this is an area
> intimately tied up with audience analysis, and we need to stay abreast
> of -- and even vigorously debate -- questions of new and changing
> vocabulary, Br/Can/US spelling, etc. Is this a majority view, and is it
> acceptable to the list owner?

What we have here is the difference in the following analogy: All
scotch is whiskey, but not all whiskey is Scotch.

There are many areas of language that are more strongly related to other
areas than with technical communication. The old Ebonics discussion is
a case in point. While is had to do with communication, it was more
strongly related to areas of culture, socio-econamics, etc. it was
detirmined that it was not an appropriate discussion for technical
communication.

To get back to your question, I don't believe that just because it has
to do with communication, that it automaticaly applies to technical
communication.

--
John Posada
Technical Communications

No animals were injured in the creation of this message.