Re: Do you use the Microsoft MANUAL OF STYLE?

Subject: Re: Do you use the Microsoft MANUAL OF STYLE?
From: William Meisheid <wgm -at- SAGELINE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 11:32:57 -0400

Since we are contractors we ALWAYS use the MS Manual of Style when
dealing with our customers. It removes a lot of the problems about who
struck John, especially when editing the inhouse or programmer
supplied docs and gives us a starting point for any customization the
client may want.

When we do produce an additional style guide we compile that into a
help file. We then include our CNT into the CNT file that comes with
the MS Manual of Style so our custom additions become part of the
online guide. This is a big help to all of the writers and a technique
that can be universally applied, even to local additions to
shrinkwrapped software, such as Word. This allows us to add into the
Word help file our information about specific issues, templates,
procedures, etc., as needed.

While I agree that MS does not always take the approach I would like,
at least when we deviate we have a baseline on which to base our
reasons.

William Meisheid "Thoughts still and always in progress"
Windexer "The first WinHelp indexing tool" www.sageline.com
Sageline Publishing 410.465.1548 Fax: 410.465.1812
WUGNET/Help Authoring Forum - Sysop for: Style/Concepts/Etc
CSi email: 70713 -dot- 2225 -at- compuserve -dot- com