INDEX software

Subject: INDEX software
From: Mary Cresswell <mcresswe -at- ACTRIX -dot- GEN -dot- NZ>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 20:40:34 +1300

I have been asked to do an index, two (perhaps three) levels, of about 2000
items. I'll have to create the text myself, since it's a general
subject-matter index, and I can't just 'mark' text items.

The problem is that, as far as I know, there's no way WordPerfect or Word 6
can handle 2000 items. I know that lots and lots of little lists can be
combined manually (and I've done this for lists of plant and animal
species, which don't always go strictly alphabetically) ... but this is
straight plain old alphabetical order, and I'd like to do it in close to
one fell swoop, if possible.

I would be *very* grateful for any suggestions anyone has - either on ways
to tweak WordPerfect, or on indexing programs available. Thanks in advance...

Mary Cresswell * Technical writer & editor
P.O. Box 17-249 * Wellington, New Zealand
+64-4-475-7277; fax:+64-4-475-7279
mcresswe -at- actrix -dot- gen -dot- nz

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!