Re: Tech Writers and Free Trade

Subject: Re: Tech Writers and Free Trade
From: Chris Knight <knight -at- ADA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:54:07 -0700

Tony G. Rocco wrote:

> A few questions about this NAFTA thing:
>
> 1) Does this NAFTA policy apply only to tech writers?
>
> 2) Is it reciprocal - can tech writers from the US work in Canada without a
> special permit?
>
> 3) What about other NAFTA countries like Mexico? Do the same policies apply?

Answers
1) No, it applies to all "professionals", and by agreement, that means
any position requiring a degree (or equivalent). There is a list of
such professions, and TW is one of them. This is the "labour mobility"
section of the agreement.

2) Completely reciprocal.

3) I'm not sure about this one; I suspect that there is not the same
for Mexico as it is for the original 2 signees, Canada and the US.

--
Chris Knight
Consultant, Technical Communication Architect

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!