Re: When to conduct useability testing on Procedures

Subject: Re: When to conduct useability testing on Procedures
From: TIMMERMAN <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 12:27:35 CST

Hillary,

If what you are doing works, don't fix it. If it becomes a problem
later, ask all the people concerned (i.e., experts, authors,
non-experts, non-authors) what works best for them. If both groups
want to receive the procedure last, you should probably please the
group that is higher up on the food chain, and then explain to the
other group how you will proceed and why.

Don Timmerman, dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov

Author: Hillary Russak <hrussak -at- SLAC -dot- STANFORD -dot- EDU> at IPDLINK
Date: 10/23/97 11:55 AM

I'm writing small (5-7pg) procedure documents for hazardous and radioactive
waste management. The procedures are coming out one at a time and I'm
sending them to my experts and authors for review. My plan was to conduct
usability with non-experts/non-authors after that review. Can you-all give
me feedback about whether you think my timing is correct on this?

Should I be running a useability check of my written recipe prior to the
review instead? The current process seems to be working, but I have
concern that if I find that steps are left-out, I'll have to send the
documents around again for review. This would be a waste of the first
review.

When do you-all do useability on hands-on procedural documents?
-hil

Hillary M. Russak, Technical Writer
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ES&H Division, Waste Management Department
hrussak -at- slac -dot- stanford -dot- edu
Office: (650) 926-3193
Pager: (650) 940-0741