What's This Help and VB

Subject: What's This Help and VB
From: Walter Jones <WalterJ -at- TRITECH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 12:39:01 -0700

Question 1:
I'm using the What's This Help Composer on VB 5 source files. I've heard
of setting the control ID of static text to -1 in order to avoid having
the WTHC assign a help topic to that control, and instead use the help
topic of the control following the static text. The problem is that I
don't know what ID property to set to -1. I've tried experimenting with
several properties in VB, but nothing seems to work. (I've installed VB
5 on my machine, but I'm no programmer). Or, is this feature only for
programs written in C? How do I do this in VB 5? Or better yet, what do
I tell the engineers how to do this?

Question 2:
I'm still in the planning stages of this help project, and I can't
decide whether to create one large context-sensitive help file for every
module in our application, or to create a separate help file for each
project (module). From what I can determine, there are between 50 and 70
VB projects that make up our application. Most are individual tools and
utilities for our application, and most customers will receive nearly
all modules. The complexity (number of controls) for each module varies
from very simple to very complex.

The director of engineering suggested that I create a separate help
files, although he knows nothing about creating help files. But I don't
want
to manage that many help files for the same application.
Anybody have any thoughts on the benefits of one, or many files for
context-sensitive help?

Thanks,

Walter Jones
Technical Writer