Checkerboarding solutions

Subject: Checkerboarding solutions
From: DIGEST Lucille Lattanzi <lucille -dot- lattanzi -at- PERI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 11:42:49 -0500

Gracias to all who responded to my mail.

Our best bet was to save the problem screens as WMF's. The effect was greatly reduced or
eliminated.
You can also doctor up the file in Paintbrush, paste the screen image back into Paint Shop
Pro as a new image and save it as a TIF to save file space. (We have to keep cosmetic
change to a minimum because the screen illustrations MUST resemble the app.)

Robin Dube contributed this fix as well:

"We struggled with this problem when we started creating screen shots
in Win95. It was a real bear. We were seeing checkerboards, pin
stripes, and other undesirable patterns. The solution we found to work
best was to change the Win95 color scheme. We have a written procedure
on this now.

Here are the steps:

1. Exit the application for which you want to create screen captures.

2. Go into Control Panel and choose the Display icon.

3. Choose the Appearance tab.

4. From the Scheme drop-down list box, select High Contrast White.

5. From the Item drop-down list box, select 3D Objects.

6. From the Color drop-down palette to the right of the Item list box,
select the lighter shade of gray (Red=192, green=192, blue=192).

7. Choose the Save As button to display the Save Scheme dialog box.

8. Type a name for the new color scheme (for example, "Win95 Screen
Capture Colors"), then choose OK to return to the Display Properties
dialog box.

9. Choose OK.

10. Restart the application for which you want to take screen captures
and verify that the new color scheme is in effect. You may need to
reboot in order for the color scheme to fully take effect."

Again, many thanks.
- Lucille Lattanzi