SUMMARY: unwanted tmp files

Subject: SUMMARY: unwanted tmp files
From: John Cornellier <john -dot- cornellier -at- PARIS -dot- CARDS -dot- DELARUE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 11:43:02 GMT

Last week I asked about how to remove unwanted Word tmp files. When word crashes
it leaves *.TMP files in in the temp dir defined in the path, and ~*.doc files
in the working dir.

Suggestions included periodically using 95's Find to delete the files (snag: not
automatic); using the utils NU Space Wizard or 4DOS, and a gloriously kludgy DOS
batch workaround.

I think the best solution would be a Word macro activating on Word Exit using
the kill command on unwanted files. However, since I don't have time to write
it, I have used the shareware PDEL.EXE (Ira Jacobson's suggestion). By adding in
autoexec.bat the line

pdel *.tmp,~*.doc /ba /nm /s /d:(5

I delete at bootup all unwanted files more than five days old.

mailto:John -dot- Cornellier -at- paris -dot- cards -dot- delarue -dot- com