Re: Word to Frame

Subject: Re: Word to Frame
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 12:30:55 -0500

At 10:26 AM 10/30/97 -0500, you wrote:
>To: Anyone who has converted from Word to FrameMaker
>
>How was the experience? What was good? What was bad? Do you use Acrobat?
>How's that going?

I took a 100+ page, 7-chapter manual (with no graphics -- I knew I was
getting FrameMaker so I waited) from Word 97 to Word 95 to FrameMaker.
Though tedious, the process was fairly painless. I set up identical
templates on all platforms (i.e. same paragraph tag names), and avoided
autonumbering or bulleting anything in Word (the FrameMaker paragraphs had
autonumbering and bullet symbols where appropriate). I ran a couple of
macros to strip out the autonumbering and bullet symbols in Word and change
some style names to fit my Frame template, and away I went.

There was some cleanup to do in Frame -- change the first step of every
procedure from Steps to Step1, for instance, but overall it wasn't as bad
as I'd imagined. Then again, mine was a small job.

Marie