Looking for a UNIX book

Subject: Looking for a UNIX book
From: "Donald J. Plummer" <donp -at- BGNET -dot- BGSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 08:24:26 -0500

Techwrl-rs:

Are there any *really* good UNIX books out there? I am looking for a book
that meets the following criteria:

1. It is a well-written example of technical communication.

2. It has lots of "learn by doing" examples, especially for the more
arcane commands like 'awk' and 'sed.' I am having trouble learning the
search syntaxes for these commands, mainly because I am the kind of person
who learns best by doing them rather than just reading about them.

I searched the TECHWR-L archives but found no book recommendations. Please
respond to me offline--if there is a lot of interest in the information, I
will summarize to the list.

Thank you in advance.

don

Donald J. Plummer
Department of English--Program in
Scientific and Technical Communication
225 East Hall
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, Ohio USA
419-372-7242 <donp -at- bgnet -dot- bgsu -dot- edu>

We are often unable to tell people what
they need to know, because they want
to know something else.
--George MacDonald