Re: hourly vs. project

Subject: Re: hourly vs. project
From: Chris Knight <knight -at- ADA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 12:06:51 -0800

ce evans wrote:

> I just finished reading "How to Make Money TW", and I'm ready to put it
> to use. I have an opportunity to bid on an entire project, but I'm not
> quite sure how to do it--or if I should. Its for revising sw
> documentation. The project manager gave me an idea of how many hours he
> thinks it (revision) will take, but the sw still has some functionality
> that has yet to be developed--and I have no idea when they will finish
> it or if it will be before my deadline. Should I just go with the
> hourly or risk bidding a project.

For a new client, where you don't really know how organized,
disciplined, and cooperative they are, I would definitely go for an
hourly rate. The part about "the sw still has some functionality
that has yet to be developed" says it all.

Once you figure out how the client operates, you can consider a project
price--with provisos that all conditions (supply of information, review
process etc.) remain as defined.

Works for me. Good luck!

--
Chris Knight
Consultant, Technical Communication Architect